Corporate and Carrier Policies
Pick-up and Drop-Off Rules of Service
Bus routes and timings are very sensitive to things like traffic, weather, construction, and many other situations that affect travel on city streets.
Although we as service providers cannot control most of external issues that impacts service, there certain things that can be done in order to help provide a smooth trip to and from school.
To that end, below are the expectations of parents and children
1. Children will be at the designated pick-up point at least 5 minutes before the scheduled pick-up time.
2. Children who are being picked up at the door will be waiting at the door 5 minutes before the scheduled pick-up time.
3. All children at the pick-up point will line up in single file, with no pushing or shoving of any kind.
4. No child will attempt to board the bus until driver has opened the door and signaled that it is okay to do so.
The bus driver will not wait for late arrivals.
The bus driver will not leave the pick-up point early
5. If a child is being met at the drop-off point by someone, that person must be at the drop-off 5 minutes before the scheduled arrival of the bus.
The bus driver will not wait for late arrival of the person meeting the child.
Also, the bus driver will not leave the drop-off early
6. If a child is met as scheduled, the person meeting the bus must call the office and make arrangements to pick up the child.
PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:
DO NOT CHASE THE BUS
For the sake of your own safety, that of your children and others people on the road, it is simply not worth the risk.
Our drivers are trained to ignore anyone who attempts to flag down and board the bus after it has left the stop. Ignoring this warning will lead to suspension of service with no refund.
Passenger Behaviour While Riding in DNW Vehicles
Passengers on our vehicles are expected to behave in a considerate manner and follow the rules that have designed to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip.
The following rules will be implemented on all our bus routes: 1. Passengers sit down straight away and remain in their seats for the whole journey.
2. Passengers do not eat or drink in the bus.
3. Passengers do not throw objects inside or out of the bus.
4. Passengers use socially acceptable language when talking to the driver and/or other students, and speak quietly so they do not distract the driver.
5. Passengers respect DNW’s property at all times (for example, do not stand on seats or vandalise the bus in any way).
6. Passengers do not harass, bully, or abuse other passengers or the driver in any way, whether verbally or physically.
7. Passengers respect others’ property and do not interfere with it in any way.
8. Passengers listen to and follow the requirements and instructions of the bus driver at all times. 9. Passengers do not engage in any behaviour that could put other passengers, the driver or themselves at risk.
A Special Note Regarding Vandalism or Other Willful Damage to DNW Vehicles and Property:
A. Parents will be held liable for the actions of their children.
B. The cost of restoring or repairing equipment after proven acts of vandalism or destruction of property will be billed to the respective parent(s).
C. In cases of multiple children, it will be their responsibility to determine percent culpability if they so desire. DNW will expect full reimbursement regardless of how many people are involved.
D. Failure to reimburse DNW for damages will result in suspension of services.
E. Bus services may also be suspended for the child(ren) involved and will be determined on a case by case basis at DNW’s sole discretion.
Darchei Noam Ways is dedicated to providing a safe and harassment free environment in its workplace and anywhere we operate.
This policy is intended for its employees, contractors, passengers and others who are employed by DNW or use DNW’s services, including parents/guardians and school authorities who have contracted our services.
Our policy, simply stated is that harassment of any kind will not be tolerated from any person noted above towards any other person.
Everyone must be dedicated to preventing any type of harassment.
Workplace harassment means engaging in behaviour or conduct against another person, that is known or ought reasonably to be known as unwelcome.
These are some examples but not a complete list:
• making remarks, jokes or innuendos that demean, ridicule, intimidate, or offend;
• displaying or circulating offensive pictures or materials in any form;
• repeated offensive or intimidating phone calls or e-mails;
• inappropriate sexual touching, advances, suggestions or requests;
• physical or verbal threats meant to intimidate or demean others;
• physical violence in any form.
• Harassment may also relate to a form of discrimination as set out in the Ontario Human Rights Code, but it does not have to.
DNW coordinates school bus transportation for its client schools, and recognizes the importance of privacy and the sensitivity of personal information about the students we transport. DNW abides by applicable privacy laws and the requirements of its member school boards.
THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
DNW collects information by various methods including information provided by the schools it organizes transportation for, and information collected directly from students and parents.
The types of personal information we collect include student and parent names, address, contact information, ID numbers, emergency contacts, medical information, and information regarding student conduct (which may include video or audio recordings on school buses).
VIDEO AND AUDIO RECORDING ON BUSES
Some buses in our fleet are equipped with video cameras and recording equipment which is also capable of making audio recordings.
These buses are distinctive in that the cameras are placed in plain sight inside and outside the bus.
Use of these recording are subject to the privacy conditions set out in this policy, with the additional condition that live and/or prerecorded video and audio may be shared with school authorities and law enforcement.
HOW WE USE THIS INFORMATION
This information is used to supply school bus transportation for students. DNW may use aggregate or anonymous information which will not be linked to identified individuals for various other uses for itself and third parties.
WHO WE SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH
DNW does not share personal information with any third parties except as disclosed in this policy. DNW discloses personal information to its schools as required to provide school bus transportation in a safe manner. DNW may provide personal information to DNW’s, subcontractors (which shall be bound by privacy obligations) to assist DNW’s uses disclosed herein.
Personal information is stored in a combination of paper and electronic files. They are protected by security measures appropriate to the nature of the information.
Individuals may review their personal information contained in DNW files by contacting the DNW privacy officer. If an individual believes that any of their personal information is inaccurate, we will make appropriate corrections.
DNW may amend this policy from time to time. If such amendments affect how DNW uses or discloses personal information already held by DNW in a material way, DNW will obtain consent.
Notwithstanding the general terms of this policy, the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information may be made outside of the terms herein to the extent provided for in any applicable privacy or other legislation in effect from time to time (such as, for example and without limitation, in emergency situations), or pursuant to court orders.
For more information on DNW and privacy please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Darchei Noam Ways Ltd. Privacy Officer
Policy Regarding School Cancellation
In case schools are closed due to COVID-19, or any other reason beyond our control, your account balance will be reduced by an amount equal to 50% of the remaining balance.
For example, if schools close after 2 months (20% of the year), your account balance will be reduced by 50% of the remaining 80% of the annual fees.
Put another way, if the annual fee is $1,200, after 2 months, your account will be reduced by 1200 * 0.8 * 0.5 = $480.